Saturday, January 3, 2009
Altamont To Switch Parties
Conservative senator will now identify as a Nationalist
GRASSADELLA CITY, DMG--Conservative Senator Brian Altamont announced Friday he will leave the Conservative party and join the opposing Nationalist party.
In a written statement, Altamont said the Conservative party's "abandonment of its core values" led him to switch to the other side.
"The Conservative party used to believe and stand for personal freedom and liberty. Unfortunately, today, the party has reversed its position on civil freedoms. The Conservative party of today is not the party it once was. And because of that, I can no longer be affiliated with the Conservative party," the statement said.
In an interview with GBC Radio host John Hockney, Altamont explained his decision to leave the party.
"John, I believe that people should be able to walk through the airport without getting frisked by security. I believe women should have more say about their bodies than the government. I believe gay and lesbian couples should be able to marry because they love each other. I believe prisoners of war should be given basic human rights. These are all things I deeply believe in, and the Conservative party is on the wrong side on all of these issues.
"I've found that after 16 years of identifying as a Conservative, I can no longer continue doing so. My view on the issues lines up more with the Nationalist party, and I think I would be better serving myself, my supporters, and frankly all Damoignites by making the switch," Altamont said.
Altamont's defection came as little surprise to fellow Conservatives. The former businessman-turned-senator has had a liberal voting record, and has often openly chided his fellow Conservatives. Over the past two years, many CNS lawmakers have disapproved of Altamont's alliance with NAT members on significant pieces of legislation, including immigration quotas, foreign prisons, and partial-birth abortion.
"I'm not surprised Senator Altamont made that decision. I agree with him...I think his positions on the issues do line up more with the Nationalist party, and I think he will be accepted there," Sen. George Landers (CEA) told the GBC Radio.
Another Conservative lawmaker, who asked not to be named, told STAR-Radio, "I never really liked [him], because he voted with the Nationalists on every issue of importance, and he was more critical of the Conservative party than the Nationalists were."
Altamont assured Hockney his defection will not change his beliefs.
"I'm still the same person. Brian Altamont hasn't changed. The Conservative party has changed, and that's why I'm leaving."
House Minority Leader Sen. Shay Robertson (N-DMG) said Altamont will be "welcomed with open arms."
"We are excited to welcome Senator Altamont into our party, and we welcome his ideas and are pleased to call him one of our own."
Altamont's defection will now switch the balance of power to the Nationalist party, which will hold a slim 36-35 majority. However, special elections in Biereland, East Deschire, and Wellington later this month will likely reverse that slight majority.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
GNN Headline Wire
- GNN Headline Team
- GNN News is a subsidiary of Zimmer Media Corp. GNN is headquartered in Grassadellia City and has local affiliates in 95 cities in all 24 states and in peripheral territories.
Write to us at:
GNN News
46001 W. Greenley Ave.
Grassadellia City, DMG 98112-4600
Or call: 1-800-322-0890
Which political party is the most 'pro-women?'
Popular Posts
-
OLAN SPRINGS, Well. -- A late surge by NAT realtor Diane Hansenhauer was not enough to propel the political newcomer to victory Saturday nig...
-
ELMHURST, Asl. -- Though she's never met Donald Trump, Ansleigha Sen. Pat Ramsey (C) was asked at a town hall meeting this weekend what ...
-
PARKINS, N.C. -- One of North Ceona's senators is facing a fight for her political life. Wendy MacDonald is the unlucky recipient of mil...
-
CAROVA CITY, Car. -- There will be no Wainwright political family dynasty in Carova, at least not this year. Dan Wainwright Jr., the son of ...
-
FARNHAM, Bie. -- A generational battle in Biereland's Conservative Party has come to an end tonight, with former Gov. Ben Jordan winning...
-
PRYNNE, NP -- The tiny state of New Portsmouth is poised for another marquee governor's race this year, if recent polling is any indicat...
-
EAST HOLLOW, Car. -- A blue collar construction company owner has won Carova's CNS gubernatorial primary, holding off an Ivy League-educ...
-
VALLINGBURG, Car. -- She's been elected to the Senate, removed from the Senate via the Senate Reduction Lotter, voted back into the Sena...
-
KINGHAM, P.O.G. -- After weeks of lobbying and trying to persuade POG Sen. John Paul Liffrey (N) to seek reelection to the Senate, Nationali...
-
FAIRFIELD, S.C. -- The "governors curse" in South Ceona may strike again in the 2026 election. South Ceona has never reelected a g...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(103)
-
▼
January
(13)
- Former DMG Governor Diagnosed With Lou Gehrig's Di...
- Byelles Back In Biereland
- House Confirms Goodling For Finance Secretary
- Bronure Puts Grassadellia City Home Up For Sale
- Fulbright, Kemmes Pledge Bipartisanship
- East Deschire Police Searching For Serial Killer
- Bennelly, McGint Call On Hoffa To Appoint National...
- Stevens: Gorbachy A 'Dear Friend,' Not Homophobic
- Hoffa May Appoint Chatskovy, Blaine To Senate Vacancy
- Damoign Legislature Fails To Pass Constitutional A...
- McCaren Mentioned As Possible Secretary of State, ...
- Lanman Hospitalized After Minor Heart Attack
- Altamont To Switch Parties
-
▼
January
(13)
No comments:
Post a Comment