"I'm not sure if I'm the person to ask about Donald Trump, that's really an issue for the American people to deal with," said Ramsey. "But I would say, from what I've seen, with the US economy struggling, with the war in Iran, with Greenland and Canada and all his comments on those things, I think Trump has lost the trust of the American people. And really the entire world."
"It's unfortunate, because I think when he was reelected back in 2024, the American people had a lot of faith in him to turn the economy around, to avoid wars, and to maybe be a statesman in his second term, however rough-around-the-edges he may be," said Ramsey. "But I think we've seen that's not what's happened. He hasn't softened in his second term, he's really become more intransigent and dug in his heels."
Ramsey was then asked by the moderator if she thought Grassadellia should "seek distance" from the United States during Trump's current tenure.
"I don't think we need distance. We need to work together to prevent terrorism and to prevent tyranny and to support free trade and commerce between our countries. So I don't think seeking distance is the answer," she said. "But when the Americans are on the wrong side of the issue, when they see things differently than us, when they push through a policy that is harmful to Grassadellia or is concerning to us, I think we need to speak up loudly. Not rudely, but loudly. And we need to say, 'Hold up, hold on, we have an issue here that needs to be addressed before we move forward.'"
Ramsey described Trump's plan to take Greenland away from Denmark as "not entirely absurd."
"I can see the value that Greenland has militarily and for national security, so I can see why he would want it or want to have some presence there," said Ramsey. "I think the way he went about it was, as is usual with Donald Trump, clumsy and not very well thought through."
In response to the Conservative senator's comments, the White House called Ramsey "a third-rate senator" and "a dusty relic of the Nixon years."
Ramsey first got her start in government and international affairs during the 1970s, although she wasn't elected to public office until six years ago.
The Conservative senator, who is among the most hawkish and outspoken on foreign affairs in the Senate, did not respond to the White House's insults.
Ramsey is up for reelection this year. She is facing former NAT Sen. Carol DelLorean.
No comments:
Post a Comment